Friday, July 14, 2006

it controls your actions, but it also obeys your commands

I drove a friend of mine home last night, and we talked a lot about writing on the way. I commented that when I'm really writing well, I feel like I'm in some kind of pseudo-out of body experience, and I almost feel like I'm floating along in a river that I can kind of control, but enjoy just drifting down.

The key is to stay out of my own way, so I can feel the flow, and holy crap can I feel the flow right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger KFarmer said...

well, as Elvin Bishop says "LET IT FLOW! do-do-do-do-do" :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger NailaJ said...

Flow, by Live, is a great song!! Off their best CD,IMHO: V

Incidentally, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like a high, where you're above, and yet surrounded by everything else, and your fingers just keep on going and going, and you're not always sure what you're writing, but you know it's just right. Until your finger slips and you have to stop for a second. But it's kinda like being in the zone. It takes the article/story/blog post to be over to get OUT of the zone. And even then... You just want to show everyone!

*Damn finger just slipped... What was I saying??*

Right.
You should try writing on deadline... but not like, "I've got a week to write this but I procrastinated" type deadline. More like, "Omg this fire just started in this major shopping mall and my news broadcast copy goes to print/starts/is due in like, 2 mins!!!!!!

It's wicked! And THAT high lasts for a while :)

BEST DRUG EVER: Personal accomplishment!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home