Friday, May 05, 2006

on sobriety

I can't believe I'm linking to Andrew Sullivan, but even a busted clock is right twice a day.

On the latest L'affaire d' Kennedy:
Kennedys have human rights too. They're human beings as well as celebrities and politicians. I guess I'm biased because I'm old friends with some members of the family. But I have deeply admired how some Kennedys have sustained sobriety. It's not easy for addicts. And as a society, we should do more to support sobriety and less to demonize and criminalize addicts.
I lucked out in the genetic lottery and missed the addiction gene, but I have plenty of friends who are recovering or current addicts. Treating people who are seriously fucked up as pariahs and criminals, without doing anything to encourage and support their efforts to get thier shit together, isn't good for anyone.


Technorati Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home