Sunday, August 13, 2006

Doughty's Creative Process



Super Special Questions Blog: Methods.
I've been trying to write more songs for a session in September; time is limited, obviously, and I don't have the sheaf of culled phrases from months of journals that I usually use as a lyrical source. So I've been reading books with a pen in hand, underlining interesting and/or rhythmic words, and then writing them down the next day--over several columns on several sheets of paper, to put them in an order other than that in which they appeared in the books--and then when I go to the guitar and the drum machine I use those words to plug into the lyrics.

1 Comments:

Blogger NailaJ said...

This is so true. You can find inspiration for works of art in a whole bunch of other works of art. I was at a Black Waters concert on Saturday, and there was another band playing before them... and they inspired me to write so much that I grabbed one of the cue cards I always keep in my purse in case I meet celebrities, or just need something to write on, and my pen just started flowing on the card. I wrote 2 verses of 1 song in progress, and a chorus for another song...

It's been so long since I have written, and honestly, it's truly an amazing feeling when you can just shut your eyes, and let the words flow directly from the back of your mind to the blank page in front of you.

Thanks for sharing!! :)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home