Monday, March 20, 2006

coffee coffee coffee(e)

Anne really hurt her neck and shoulders last week, and since she can't turn her head to the right without a lot of pain, I drove her to work today.

I'm sitting in a coffee shop(pe) down the street while she does a haircut, using someone's open wireless access point to get on the Internets.

I'm on a slouchy leather couch, with my back against the arm rest, sipping Sumatra and blogging away with my laptop on -- wait for it -- my lap. I must admit, I feel ever so hip, with my Chuck Taylors, Think Geek T-Shirt, and San Andreas jacket as I furrow my brow and pretend to be very interested in what I'm doing.

OH! Some guy in a slouchy hat just sat down on the other side of the couch. If he looked over my screen, he'd know I'm writing about him! I feel so dangerous.

His hand is shaking a little bit. I think he needs to switch to decaf.

Okay, he keeps looking sideways at me. I can't tell if this is because I am so clearly a hip and edgy mobile computing enthusiast, that guy from tv, or big big sexy. To be honest, none of those make me feel particularly good.

Oh, now here comes Talking Too Loudly On My Bluetooth Headset Guy! It sounds like he's giving relationship advice to someone.

There's a small table in front of the couch, covered with well-read pages from today's Los Angeles Times. A really pretty Asian girl with a Louis Vutton hand bag and a light pink cashmere sweater just asked me if the paper belonged to me.

"No," I said. "I'm sorry, but I don't know how to read."

I thought this was hilarious, because I clearly know how to read and how to write, but she gave me The Look, shared The Look with Slouchy Hat Guy, picked up all the papers, and took them to a chair on the other side of the shop(pe).

Ah! And she's not even looking at them! They're just sitting there while she looks at a AT&T Wireless brochure! Dude, if you're going to take all the newspapers (which are obviously tagged "for everyone, so don't take them all for yourself, lady," and take them all for yourself, at least read them. JEEZE!

CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" just replaced 10K Maniacs' "What's the Matter Here?" on the shop(pe)'s soundtrack(ke). I looked up, and totally busted I Shop At Urban Outfitters Girl, who was totally checking me out.

Okay, maybe she wasn't, but this is my blog so I get to make stuff up if I want to. Slouchy Hat Guy just moved to a table, right next to I'm Knitting A Scarf lady.

There's an awful lot going on in here this morning.

Technorati Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home